Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Retirement - An update

They warned me this would happen. In no time at all, they said, I would be wondering how I ever found the time to work

I thought that maybe, when I got back from my travels, and had completed my Reiki attunement, things would start to go a bit flat. Instead, I am fighting the old guilt feelings because there are still so many things I need to get done (surprise, surprise)and already it's October.

Some of my work habits are beginning to disappear. I no longer wake up and immediately know what day it is, what I have to do that day, and even what time it in various parts of the world. I have not quite, as yet, become good enough at saying “It's a lovely day, I'll go for a walk”. I still find myself saying “It's a lovely day, I'll get the washing done”. I said laundry instead of washing and had to correct it. I must stop speaking American. I need to keep reminding myself that I have all the time in the world.

I just proved to myself that I'm losing track of the days. It's Tuesday and I forgot about the dustmen. With luck they will empty my bin on the way back.

It's early days yet and I have been enjoying myself, even if I'm getting the good feelings by throwing out vast swathes of old paperwork. I need to catch this tide of enthusiasm for throwing things out while it is still at the full. The clothes and shoes must come next.

While I'm engaged in the therapeutic activities I can simultaneously engage in some of the new fun things I do. That's the old multitasking finding its way again. Audible.com provides me with excellent talking books, to the sound of which I can throw out papers or knit for my new Ruby Plaza project. It has given me the added benefit of increased confidence working with iTunes and the iPod. Denise, bless her, has pushed me over the confidence barrier and into actually creating my first scarf for the Plaza. I was full of supplies and vague ideas but very lacking in the confidence to jump in and actually create. These new yarns are blissfully sensuous to work with. The yarn I'm using right now is actually called Sensual. However, as I have learnt, they are unforgiving when you make a mistake so too much multitasking is not a good idea.

Evernote is proving very useful for storing ideas and details of my own yarn stash. Interesting that we addicts of handicrafts use such a guilt-ridden word to describe the treasures over which we gloat. The invaluable e-book reader now has a smart leather case which stands up like a photo frame and makes it easy to read wherever I am. However, reading while knitting has put been my downfall and I must stick to the audio books. My new Corel photo editing program is on its way to me and may arrive today. Once more I am looking to some new technology to kickstart me, this time into making better photos for my shops. It has a tool for separating the item from its background, which should give me some sharp images and help to move my stock.

Other new roles: I am the new Group Representative for the Al-Anon group, which entails quarterly trips to Glasgow. I have already been efficient, informed Central Office and spoken with the Great Western hotel about the Convention. I even placed the literature order online. I am to be Fairy Nuff in the panto. Rehearsals have begun but there will be a gap for the school holidays. Memo to self-try to learn at least some of the lines before the next rehearsal. Keep Fit is on Thursday mornings and, as I promised myself, I am going to become a regular attender. I may even investigate membership of Atlantis Leisure so that I can swim and use the Gym machines.

So do I miss my job? Many people doubted that I could give it up without many pangs of regret. No, I don't miss it at all. I have remained in contact with the friends with whom I wanted to remain in contact and I have put behind me work which was a large and very important part of my life for many years but which had started to become repetitive. Remember going to the cinema in the old days? I found myself saying “This is where I came in”.

I have dictated this, knitting all the time. Multi-tasking is a habit that it's going to be hard to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment