Friday, November 26, 2010

Pam’s Beauty Tips: #2: Medi Wipes

It’s been a long time since I was able to obtain these, but I came across them on eBay while searching the more arcane areas of the site for my Panto Fairy make-up.

I originally bought them for my brother in law to use for cleaning LPs. They work for that too. At that time I worked for the company that owned the  pharmacy.  I then found that they were very handy to carry in the handbag and especially when travelling.  A couple of years ago I went to the local pharmacy to get some more and they made suspicious faces and said they weren’t made any more. I guess that, like so many simple old remedies, they are probably involved somehow with illicit drug use, or maybe making bombs*.  They now seem to be used by tattooists and to clean body piercings.

*You can’t get saltpetre for making salt beef any more, either.

Anyway, what are they and why are they so handy?

They are tiny sachets containing a tiny piece of non-woven fabric soaked in Isopropyl Alcohol.  When I travel and eat different food I can get spots. I also tend to get bitten by the local insects, and if you aren’t careful the bites can turn nasty. For both these purposes, a swift zap with a medi-wipe is normally all that’s needed. They would probably be good for cleaning small cuts and grazes too.

Of course you can get all sorts of expensive proprietary stuff to do the same job.  Maybe why the pharmacy said they were unobtainable????

No comments:

Post a Comment